Monday, June 1, 2009

pre-scotland

This is the post describing last week's adventures in London before we went to Scotland.

On Saturday, we took a train to Windsor Castle! For those of you who know me well, you know that I'm obsessed with castles! I love them! There is something so mystical and magical and epic about a real castle. Also, royal people still live/visit Windsor Castle, and I too am very interested in royalty. Especially if his name is William....

Anyway, it was the Bank Holiday weekend, so pretty much all of my pictures have other tourists in them, but I tried really hard to get them out. This is the only place so far that I have had trouble getting people-less shots, but I hope I captured the majesty of the castle for you! I loved it!



So, all in all, I LOVE castles and Windsor Castle was fantastic!!!

Our other adventure was a FABULOUS concert at a church called St. Martin's-in-the-Fields. It's right off Trafalgar Square and it is one of the most gorgeous interiors I have seen so far. We went to a concert of Baroque music, including the Bach double, Pachabel's Canon, plus more, and Vivaldi's Four Seasons. It was an AMAZING night!! I loved hearing my fav pieces by candlelight in this beautiful church in London, and then, to walk outside after the concert to a mild evening in Trafalgar Square as the fountains and the National Gallery are all lit up and people are sitting on the steps enjoying London.




On Sunday evening we went to Barbican Hall to go to a London Symphony Concert! I thought it was so fabulous! The last piece was Brahms Violin COncerto and the soloist was incredible.


On Monday, one of the girls in my dorm, Katie, had her birthday, so we had Katie's birthday day of FUN!!! First stop: Abbey Road!!



Following our pilgrimage to the Beatles' recording studio and signing the wall, we went to Hampstead Heath and picnic-ed and walked around the family fun fair. And bought some candy floss. :)
And then, the night before we left for Scotland, we went and saw MAMMA MIA!!!! That, my friends, is a way fun show!!


And those are the highlights of pre-Scotland!!!
i love london!!




2 comments:

amanda said...

I am so jealous! Your trip look so incredible...and I love the pictures and p&p quotes!

Jody Lynn said...

I'm uber...uber...uber jealous you got to see mamma mia!!!!!!!