First, we went, as a group, to Westminster Abbey. I'm trying to get all my facts about it straight...but I believe the existing abbey was built in the 1200s, but there has been a church on that site since about 615. Is that not absolutely amazing?!?! It's actually not a cathedral nor is it an abbey, technically, but it's a "Royal Peculiar", which means that it is run by the monarch. The nave of the cathedral is the highest in England, and this is where nearly every monarch has been coronated since William the Conqueror in 1066, minus only two (one because he abdicated, the other because he was being held prisoner in the Tower of London. you know, couldn't quite make it to the abbey).
Anyway, we couldn't take pictures inside the cathedral, but I took some in the cloisters (ugly word describing my fav part of cathedrals!). I also saw the Poet's Corner, which houses monuments to several famous writers, as well as lots and lots of graves of monarchs and other important people. Like Elizabeth I, Bloody Mary, King Edwards, Mary Queen of Scots, Geoffrey Chaucer, Handel....for a complete list, just wiki it. It was incredible. We all took the audio tour and pretty sure I was done like an hour after a lot of people that started at the same time as me, just because I was amazed by the splendor. Some of the things I saw were SO old and SO intricate. Oh, if you can, look up a picture of the Lady Chapel Ceiling. Breathtaking.
(grrr. i wrote the rest of this last night, but blogger didn't save it, so now i have to retype. my writing is almost always better the first time. i apologize.)
After the Abbey, we grabbed some sandwiches for lunch and then we went in to the House of Parliament to see them in action! We watched the people in the House of Commons in a debate. It was so interesting for me to watch! I think I'll go back again, just because I liked it so much. I feel very very cultured just walking down the street here. And then, after listening in on Parliament, I feel uber cultured.
After dinner we went on a walk that took us down to the theatre district right as it was dark, so got to see all the lights! Leicester Square is to London as Times Square is to New York City. Super lit up, super busy, and super awesome! Can't wait to go back there! Definitely one of my fav things I have seen so far, and I've seen some pretty awesome things! My pics weren't turning out great with all the lights, but I tried my best. I hope you like them, and I hope I'm giving you a little bit of what it's like here with the pics and descriptions. Until tomorrow, then!
I LOVE LONDON!!!

2 comments:
I love your updates and descriptions! I want to go to London!!!
Tell Dave and Terri that shingles-girl says hi! haha
Post a Comment