Tuesday, April 28, 2009

day four in london: a walk down oxford street

I know this is two posts in one day, but I'm trying to get you all caught up so that I write about what happened that day when I get back to the flat at night. So, now I'm writing about Tuesday's adventures!
I had class this morning; an awesome class called "British Mysteries." Yep. For real. We are going to study British mystery fiction, and traipse along the pages of Sherlock Homes, Hercule Poirot, etc.... I'm so so so excited for the class! Our professor, Dr. Crissler is very fun to listen to, as well. In order to get the books for the class, I want to go to little used bookshops and pick them out. I went to a classy bookstore today and couldn't justify spending 10 pounds on a book when I know I can find cooler, cheaper ones elsewhere. I might get a library card....oooh, wouldn't that be fantastic?! Having a library card in London?! Okay, I am officially going to do that. And find old books in charming shops.

After class a few of us went exploring on Oxford Street, with the intention to walk around and then find our way to the Theatre Walk. However, our plan was foiled as we realized that Oxford Street is THE shopping district of London....so we checked out zara, Next, H&M, among others. By then, we decided the best thing to do in order to get back to the Centre by dinnertime would be to take a double decker bus. Did I mention how much i LOVE riding the bus? We use our same Oyster pass that we have on the tube to ride the bus. Slick, fun, and easy, and a tour of London while you ride! Win, win...win. (thank you, pam.)


This evening we went down to the theatre district again to see a play as an entire group. We saw Arthur Miller's A View From the Bridge. The theatre was so beautiful and you could tell it was very old. The molding on the balcony and walls and ceiling was so pretty. Unfortunately, you're not allowed to take pictures inside the theatre, but just know that it was old, antique, and very pretty. The play itself was fantastic, I thought. The acting was absolutely incredible and I quite liked it. It dealt with very heavy subject matter and it was a good thing that I wasn't tired or I may have dozed off, but I was awake and sucked in the whole thing. Also, guess who was in it? Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio. She played Maid Marian in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. And she was fabulous. I really really LOVE going to the theatre here!


After the theatre, we came back to our tube stop (Queensway) and bought scarves and waffles. The waffles are amazing. Really. I might get fat because we live so close to the waffle shack.

Can I just mention again how much I love London? Every time I walk outside, my breath gets taken away with the splendor of it all. You know what? I'm going to take a picture tomorrow morning from our doorway, so you can see what I see. I step outside with my bag and my camera, and I'm all set for a fabulous day of adventure and exploring and discovering. Every day.

I LOVE LONDON!

3 comments:

Allie said...

"Man, she can make anyone wish they were in London" -Katie

Brynn said...

i am sooo glad you are having a good time!! Your pics are gorgeous and London looks amazing. I am jealous.

Kim"burly" Sue said...

Whoa I totally know Syd! She is/was in my major. Make her sing, she has an awesome voice! And the other girl on the right I know somehow...I think she was in my freshman ward.

Glad you're having so much fun!!